Teach any AQA module AB Britain Migration, no prep needed!
Do you want to save dozens of hours in time? Get your evenings and weekends back? Be fully prepared to teach any AQA GCSE topic?
Every AQA topic is covered, and each module comes complete with:
AB Britain: Power and the people: c1170 to the present day
This thematic study will enable students to gain an understanding of the development of the relationship between the citizen and the state in Britain over the course of centuries. It considers the causes, scale, nature and consequences of protest to that relationship. By charting the journey from feudalism and serfdom to democracy and the pursuit of equality, it reveals how, in different periods, the state responds to challenges to its authority and their impact. Students are then able to articulate an understanding of the rights and responsibilities of the citizen.
Students will have the opportunity to see how ideas, events or developments in the wider world affected the course of Britain's political development and will promote the idea that nations of authority, challenge and rights did not develop in isolation, but these developments should be seen in terms of how they affected Britain and British people.
Students will study a wide variety of topics spanning war, religion, chance, government, communication, the economy, ideas of equality, democracy and representation, and the role of individuals in promoting or inhibiting change.
Four modules cover the following:
Part one: Challenging authority and feudalism
- Constraints on kingship: the barons’ dissatisfaction with King John’s rule and its resolution; Magna Carta, its terms and its short and long-term impact.
- The origins of parliament: issues between King Henry III and his barons; the role of Simon de Montfort; the Provisions of Oxford and the Parliament of 1265 and their short and long-term impact.
- Medieval revolt and royal authority: the social, economic and political causes of the Peasants’ Revolt; actions by rebels and government; impact of the Peasants' Revolt.
Part two: Challenging royal authority
- Popular uprisings against the Crown: the social, economic, religious and political causes of the Pilgrimage of Grace; the implications for royal authority; Henry VIII and his government’s reaction and the impact of the uprising.
- Divine Right and parliamentary authority: the causes of the English Revolution; the New Model Army and the development of political radicalism during the Civil War era; the short and long-term impact of the English Revolution, including the significance of trial and execution of Charles I and Oliver Cromwell and the Commonwealth.
- Royal authority and the right to representation: the causes of the American Revolution including the relationship between the government and people; impact and significance of the American Revolution.
Part three: Reform and reformers
- The extension of the franchise: radical protest; the Great Reform Act, causes and impact, including further reform; Chartism, causes, actions and impact.
- Protest and change: campaigning groups and their methods and impact, including the Anti-Slavery movement; the Anti-Corn Law League; factory reformers; social reformers.
- Workers movements: the development of trade unionism and its impact, including Grand National Consolidated Trades Union (GNCTU), Tolpuddle Martyrs, New Model Unions and new unionism, including the match girls' and dockers' strikes.
Part four: Equality and rights
- Women’s rights: the campaign for women’s suffrage, reasons, methods and responses; role of individuals, including the Pankhursts; the reasons for the extension of the franchise and its impact; progress towards equality in the second half of the 20th century.
- Workers’ rights: the General Strike (1926), actions, reactions and impact; trade union reform in the late 20th century.
- Minority rights: the development of multi-racial society since the Second World War; discrimination, protest and reform; the Brixton Riots, their impact, including the Scarman Report.
This module download also includes the following teaching resources:
- AQA GCSE History Exam Booklets (2020 & 2021 Syllabus) (zip)
- L1 Magna Carta (pptx)
- L1 Magna Carta Problems Venn Diagram (pptx)
- L1 Magna Carta Problems Venn Diagram (pdf)
- L10 Roundheads V Cavaliers (pdf)
- L10 Roundheads V Cavaliers (doc)
- L11 Battle Of Edgehill (ppt)
- L11 Civil War Battles (doc)
- L11 Civil War Battles (pdf)
- L11 Edgehill (wmv)
- L11 Edgehill Snowballing Sheet (pdf)
- L11 Edgehill Snowballing Sheet (doc)
- L12 Exemplar News Script (doc)
- L12 Exemplar News Script (pdf)
- L12 What Should Happen To Charles I (pptx)
- L13 Cromwell Hero Or Villain Interpretation (wmv)
- L13 Cromwell Sources (ppt)
- L13 Cromwell Sources (pdf)
- L13 Oliver Cromwell (pptx)
- L13 Oliver Cromwell 6 Hats Activity (doc)
- L13 Oliver Cromwell 6 Hats Activity (pdf)
- L13 The Mark Steel Lectures- Oliver Cromwell (mp4)
- L14 Causes And Effects Of The American Revolution (docx)
- L14 Causes And Effects Of The American Revolution (pdf)
- L14 The Story Behind The Boston Tea Party Ben Labaree (mp4)
- L15 Consequences Of The Spa Field Riots (pdf)
- L15 Consequences Of The Spa Field Riots (docx)
- L15 Early Outbreaks Of Protest (pptx)
- L15 Horrible Histories- Georgian Luddites Heavy Metal Song (mp4)
- L15 March Of The Blanketeers (docx)
- L15 March Of The Blanketeers (pdf)
- L15 Radicalmovie (mp4)
- L15- Bbc Criminal Histories The Nottingham Riots (mp4)
- L16 16th August 1819- Protesters Killed In The Peterloo Massacre In Manchester (mp4)
- L16 British Reform Bill Of 1832 Video (mp4)
- L16 Government Reaction To Protest Work Booklet (pdf)
- L16 Government Reaction To Protest Work Booklet (docx)
- L17 Chartism (pdf)
- L17 Chartism (docx)
- L17 Newport Rising 1839 (mp4)
- L17 The Chartist Movement (mp4)
- L18 Rural Protest (pptx)
- L18 Stop Look Listen- Tales From Wales The Rebecca Riots Excerpt 2001 (mp4)
- L18 Swing Riot Information (docx)
- L18 Swing Riot Information (pdf)
- L19 Impact Of Industrial And Rural Protest (docx)
- L19 Impact Of Industrial And Rural Protest (pdf)
- L2 Parliament Under Henry Iii And Edward I (pdf)
- L2 Parliament Under Henry Iii And Edward I (docx)
- L20 1888 Matchgirls Strike (docx)
- L20 1888 Matchgirls Strike (pdf)
- L20 Gcse History Match Girls Strike (mp4)
- L21 Great Dock Strike (pdf)
- L21 Great Dock Strike (docx)
- L21 The Value Of Women (doc)
- L21 The Value Of Women (pdf)
- L22 Women And War Work Homework (doc)
- L22 Women And War Work Homework (pdf)
- L23 The Suffragists And Suffragettes (pdf)
- L23 The Suffragists And Suffragettes (doc)
- L24 Emily Davison Mystery (ppt)
- L25 Worker S Strikes (pptx)
- L25 Worker S Strikes Poster Info (pptx)
- L25 Worker S Strikes Poster Info (pdf)
- L26 Trade Unions In The Late 20th Century (docx)
- L26 Trade Unions In The Late 20th Century (pdf)
- L27 -The Development Of A Multi-Racial Britain (docx)
- L27 -The Development Of A Multi-Racial Britain (pdf)
- L27 Group Task Instructions (docx)
- L27 Group Task Instructions (pdf)
- L3 Role And Importance Of Simon De Montfort (docx)
- L3 Role And Importance Of Simon De Montfort (pdf)
- L3 Simon De Montfort And The Emergence Of Parliament (mp4)
- L4 Diamond 9 Statements (pdf)
- L4 Diamond 9 Statements (pptx)
- L4 Diamond Nine Chart (pptx)
- L4 Diamond Nine Chart (pdf)
- L4 Horrible Histories Middle Ages Peasant S Pay Rise Strasbourg Dance Fever (mp4)
- L4 Peasants Revolt (pptx)
- L5 Information Hunt Sheets (ppt)
- L5 Information Hunt Sheets (pdf)
- L5 Picture Sheet (pdf)
- L5 Picture Sheet (pptx)
- L5 Table (pdf)
- L5 Table (docx)
- L5 The Peasants Revolt History The Plantagenets (mp4)
- L5 What Happened During The Peasants Revolt (pptx)
- L6 Key Causal Factors Leading To The Pilgrimage Of Grace 1536 (pdf)
- L6 Pilgrimage Of Grace Threat Chart (pdf)
- L6 Pontefract Articles (pdf)
- L7 Assessment 3 Pilgrimage Of Grace (pptx)
- L8 Causes Of Civil War Charles I (wmv)
- L8 Causes Of The English Civil War (pptx)
- L9 New Model Army And Political Radicalism (pdf)
- L9 New Model Army And Political Radicalism (docx)