3 replies to this topic

#1 Heidi_wiganath

Heidi_wiganath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

Good morning all!

My HoD has decided to include more teaching of the Cold War at the end of Year 9 to give them knowledge prior to the start of the GCSE course. The lessons have been divided up and I have been asked to find resources for:

- What was the nuclear arms race?

- Why was the space race part of the Cold War?

I haven't taught the Cold War before and wondered if anyone could help me with either of these lessons.

Many thanks in advance because I'm struggling somewhat!

#2 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:32 PM

If you have a subscription to ActiveHistory I think there is some stuff on there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ace/revision/1/

Have you thought of turning the tables and getting the class to research and plan their own lesson? Tell them the questions you've got and see what they come up with (Might not be possible but an idea)

Why was the space race part of the Cold War seems like an oddly phrased question. Better to go with, what was the space race and how did it factor into the Cold War?

Edited by Dom_Giles, 02 May 2016 - 06:34 PM.

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#3 lbaker

lbaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

We actually did something very similar to this suggestion.  We gave year 9 a list of relevant subject headings on the Cold War and left them to make project books by researching it all themselves.  We gave them bullet points for compulsory inclusion and some for suggested extra inclusion ideas (to cover differentiation).  They really loved it as did the parents.  The end projects are really good.  They were given the freedom to present it in new books as they wished in effect creating their own subject text books. They will refer back to them in years 10 and 11 when we return to the topic in more depth.  It was a series of very productive lessons/homework and they all engaged really well with it.

Lynn

#4 edwaj146

edwaj146

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 06:23 PM

Does anybody have any good lesson presentations for this Cold War topic? Please email to: jedwa8@hotmail.com

Thank you! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cold war, KS3, arms race, space race

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users