• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johncollinswork

johncollinswork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

I have taught ICT / Computing for 15 years, but an frankly more interested in History and would like to teach it next year. I taught myself the AQA AS Spec last year, sat the exam and got an A, so I know I have the capacity to teach myself the subject matter.  My question to this forum is how do I make myself more attractive / employable to teach History in 2015?

I am considering starting with the new AQA Spec A , reading it inside out and then work through past papers / spec papers. 
The practicalities of teaching it are not an issue, I want to learn the right subject matter in the right areas.

Any advice on good websites, books, or even what spec / board is most popular is very much welcome.

#2 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 05:46 AM

Hi John,

are you working in a school at the moment?

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

#3 johncollinswork

johncollinswork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:36 AM

Yes.
I am considering observing a few of the History lessons, and even offering to teach some classes (maybe small groups) in my free lessons.

#4 RVaughan

RVaughan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Perhaps the easiest way to start is to offer yourself up as a potential cover teacher for any history lessons that fall during your own free lessons. Then you would have some experience teaching the subject.

You could also ask your senior management if you could perhaps teach across subject and ease yourself into it.

Do you teach A-Level now? I would suggest it's not just enough to have done the AS you will need to be well versed in the wider reading around the historical topics being taught if you are the teacher.

That said, there is nothing wrong with you looking at the open positions available and being honest in your applications about wanting to switch subjects and why - if you are looking to possibly leave the school you are at in order to take up history teaching.

"If we revert to history, we shall find that the women who have distinguished themselves have neither been the most beautiful nor the most gentle of their sex." - Mary Wollstonecraft, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users