• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Saints

Saints

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

I have only just returned from holiday and was interested to read through this seminar Richard.
Next term I am going to attempt to use a discussion forum with two of my classes. This will be running alongside an online homework activity that will last for half a term. The idea is that H/W tasks are completed and the culmination of these tasks will be an online discussion. Pupils will be expected to make a certain number of 'contributions' to the discusssion.
All of these tasks will be 'online' and accessable from home - however to get around the forum being an 'open' forum all of the material will be placed on the 'Assimilate' package from Ramaysis. (Forgive the spelling - spent 15hrs driving back from Ireland!)
Whilst the forum package with this programme is not half as good as an invasion board it is only available to those people who have coded access to the site and have easily been given access by myself. This also has the benefit that users to the forum use their surname and year group when they participate.
I was wondering if anyother users to the forum may have used this programme and what their views on it are. I have my doubts but it does open the way to school collaberation to those schhols that are in LEAs that run the package.

#32 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

Whilst the forum package with this programme is not half as good as an invasion board it is only available to those people who have coded access to the site and have easily been given access by myself.

Invasion board :lol: It isn't quite that extensive.

There are many similar examples of software that you mention Saints. I think the issue with many of them is that all the creators say how wonderful they are, how the teacher can put all of their homeworks online, run courses online etc. etc. - but what they forget to remind you about is all the additional work to put your materials online. Sure, you can, in some ways take advantage of good natured teachers who are willing to put in time and effort outside school hours to keep such their classes up to date, but it is all additional effort and work! We've then also got a potential copyright issue - who owns and controls the materials you develop? If they are on the school site, school server, school / LEA run programs then the issue can become murky.

I am glad my comments have been taken in the right mood too. I think all the benefits from forums can be gained through a slightlier easier to setup and access hybrid forum / community webpage based on wikiweb technology.

I think we, as teachers, need to make the best possible use of what is available and always consider the most effective educational benefits.

Wikiwebs are where you can create a webpage and give access to auto update to certain people. I haven't tried such a think with an actual class yet - but I will soon. My idea is to use the page in much the same way as a forum, but without all the hassle of setting up usernames and registrations. Here, I guess, it would involve have topic pages that all the class have access to instantly update, but that are protected via a password. The aim is to have a collaborative project but without the time required to set things up. If successful, I can imagine how these could be very successfully used between schools, between classes and setup to be repeated in subsequent years. I may, indeed be totally wrong though. My experiment with my Year 9s will soon tell.

http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki - original wikiweb
http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki?WikiEngines - WikiEngines - ways of running wikiwebs - I plan to use a PHP-based wikiweb from here, perhaps something like http://editthispagep.../home/index.php
http://www.wikiweb.com/ - for
http://www.wikiwikiweb.de/ - free for Educational purposes (German based)

I think we need to look for the best parts of the technology on offer to 'snatch and grab' for our best purposes. Forums are great tools with really extensive potential. I'm simply looking for the most accessible options for not just students, but us teachers too.

I imagine in the future, there will be more and more hybrid-forum environments that we can customise and adapt for our own purposes. It is vital we use things that we can all access and confidently share with fellow teachers who might be less technologically switched on. These will be the materials which will catch on the most effectively.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#33 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 06:53 PM

I've got my Year 12 Forum up and running. I would love some feedback from fellow teachers. It is very much trial and error at the moment although I am getting a lot of help from Dan Moorhouse. Cheers.

But if anyone would like to have a look at what we'e doing (and Please Please Please constructive criticism is most welcome), then PM or email me and I'll give you the address.

One question. I have tried to stop Guests from using the site but a few seem to be logging on, should I be worried? What can I do?

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#34 JP Raud Dugal

JP Raud Dugal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 06:55 PM

I've got my Year 12  Forum up and running. I would love some feedback from fellow teachers.

Could you give us the URL please? :D

Jean Philippe

#35 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:11 AM

Dom's sixth form forum

You'll have to register to view the forum.

If you find lots of people joining the forum who aren't welcome you can create a new member type and set different permission levels for them. Also easy enough to impose moderation on users for the first post etc. (As is the case on history help).

#36 Richard Jones-Nerzic

Richard Jones-Nerzic

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 08:38 AM

I've got my Year 12  Forum up and running.

Seems an appropriate moment to also mention that the Education Forum Student Forum is also about to take off with a formal debating area created and run by students themselves.

As Dan suggests we are setting up user groups and permissions very carefully. Although the forum is visible to web users, we have disabled the registration option. This means at the moment only students invited to join, may participate. We will have student 'moderators' and different permissions for different levels of student but all administration will be in the hands of teachers.
All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

European School Brussels III
International School History

#37 JP Raud Dugal

JP Raud Dugal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:31 AM

1. Can anyone think of any other history learning applications for forums?

As I wrote something in the last days about using a forum in the 'Teaching' area of the forum, may I suggest again this activity.

Previously I was thinking that using a chat will be better by groups of 3-4 students. But, reading this excellent seminar I will use a forum open to the whole class and maybe more...

The goal is that students can use their knowledge about the rising of the nazis thanks to a novel (I will cut the end of this novel to allow them thinking about the end...)

Jean Philippe

Edited by JP Raud Dugal, 25 April 2004 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users