48 replies to this topic

#31 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 01:14 AM

Pleased to hear that you've visited the museum Dan and your observations are interesting. I regret that I still haven't been yet despite living about 12 miles away, but I plan to go soon.

It's a great shame if the museum doesn't recognise the role slavery played in Bristol's past. It's not as if the city isn't coming (slowly) to terms with that and there was an important exhibition on the subject at the City Museum a couple of years ago.

I've mentioned recently in the thread about teaching about the Slave Triangle/Trade this Port Cities:Bristol site that they have detailed information relating to Bristol.

There is also a very good site Bristol and the Slave Trade - primarily links to other useful material.

Next time you are in Bristol, Dan, you could take The Bristol Slave Trade Trail. Scroll down the page and the trailis online.

I came across these sites today:
Images of Black Victorians and Before the Black Victorians which look as if they give rather more detail than is often the case.

Also this site about the Mountravers plantation on Nevis. Mountravers was owned by John Pinney from Bristol. Pinney's house in Bristol is now the Georgian House Museum. The site has some interesting material about individual slaves at Mountravers.

#32 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 06:10 PM

Carole, you are a wonderful search engine, thanks again for these fantastic resources, I shall certainly be using them when I am back down in Brizzle (they do speak funny down there!).
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#33 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 09:14 PM

....  Brizzle (they do speak funny down there!).

Dunno 'bout that! ... Gert lush to oi. :woo:

#34 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 09:21 PM

Gert lush to oi.

I might have to go onto Babelfish to work out what that means!
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#35 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 07:08 PM

Two very interesting articles appeared in the education section of the Guardian today:

http://education.gua...1061950,00.html about the underachievement of students from the black caribbean community

and on the resources pages (p58), which I can't seem to find on their website.

The first article suggests that there continues to be underachievement by certain sectors of the minority ethnic community and real progress by others, and case studies the experience in Birmingham. It was a shame that there was no mention of how an inclusive History curriculum could help to contribute to the raising of self-esteem of these different groups.

The second article argues that even 10 years after Black history month has been introduced, very few schools are actually doing anything either to celebrate BHM or to increase the amount of multicultural british history on the curriculum. Hopefully some more depts are planning something as a result of teh various contributions on this thread.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#36 John Simkin

John Simkin

• Special member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 07:36 PM

The second article argues that even 10 years after Black history month has been introduced, very few schools are actually doing anything either to celebrate BHM or to increase the amount of multicultural british history on the curriculum. Hopefully some more depts are planning something as a result of teh various contributions on this thread.

Interesting article. I thought that head of history at Henry Compton School in Fulham talked a lot of sense.

Did you see the BBC 4 documentary on Samuel Coleridge-Taylor? I was interested to hear his music but I canít say I liked it. By the way, I wonder if Dafydd Humphreys knows that he lived in Croydon. He would make a good local study. Especially as he was a leading exponent of Pan-Africanism in England at the time.

http://www.spartacus...LAcoleridge.htm

#37 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 08:02 PM

I thought that head of history at Henry Compton School in Fulham talked a lot of sense.

Did you see the BBC 4 documentary on Samuel Coleridge-Taylor?

Modesty prevailed John! I must admit to showing a few people at school the article, there's nothing like blowing your own trumpet!

I missed the docu on Coleridge Taylor and there was also a programme on the 'black mozart' that I missed because of that silly Henry VIII thing on ITV. There do seem to be some excellent programmes on the BBC and on BBC radio this month.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#38 georginadunn

georginadunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 06:23 PM

Okay so have never done anything for Black History Month before, but as I am in such a 'racially challenged' area I thought I'd give it a go this year. With the Citizenship teacher we are trying to get in a footballer from Derby/Notts for the Kick it out racism in football aspect, but I'm not sure what else to do as an historian. I teach Black Peoples at the end of year 9 but what do others incorporate into their teaching, and for how long? And who do you do? Any ideas? Have done a few posters to put up around my block to start awareness off but not sure how else to go along. Was thinking maybe about 'my most famous black person' in a similar line to 'greatest briton' as maybe a competition or homework task but my mind is a total blank for anything else - am being thick really!

Any ideas gratefully recieved and used!

Georgina :flowers:
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody's watching.

#39 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 09:05 AM

Last year a non-history member of staff complained to me about our multi-cultural history, saying that 'we only ever do about the slave trade'. She was wrong, we do far more, but her perception bothered me since part of the point of teaching multi-cultural history is to increase awareness. This year I am determined to do a 'whistles and bells' approach to Black History Month, if only to highlight the work we do throughout the rest of the year...

I am doing a HUGE display for Open Evening, as well as a multi-cultural timeline, and assemblies for Year 9. I am also aiming to do a lesson (or 2) for each KS3 year group in an attempt to integrate multi-cultural history into the topics we already teach at this time. Year 9 is easy because it's the Twentieth Century, so we'll be doing the contribution of West Indian and Indian soldiers in WW1.

Does anyone have any suggestions for appropriate lessons for Tudors or Romans???

Also, I'm a bit uneasy about mentioning this because it's not a political statement - I'm looking for advice really. My school is very multi-cultural and I have misgivings about 'Black History Month'. I don't need any convincing about the necessity of teaching multi-cultural history, but my school has just as many Chinese, Vietnamese, Irish and Asian students. All the Black History Month materials I've received seem to concentrate on Black American or Carribean history. (Most of our Black students are African) Should I just concentrate on Black history and address the 'others' at a different time? Is it my place to appropriate Black History Month and turn it into 'Multi-cultural History Month'?

#40 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:28 PM

I am putting on a variety of events for Black History Month at my school which you can read about here to give some suggestions of what you may want to do: My Webpage and you will also be able to find some teaching materials about Black people in Britain in Elizabethan times here: Elizabeth and the blackmores

Misskay has raised some very interesting points here

Also, I'm a bit uneasy about mentioning this because it's not a political statement - I'm looking for advice really. My school is very multi-cultural and I have misgivings about 'Black History Month'. I don't need any convincing about the necessity of teaching multi-cultural history, but my school has just as many Chinese, Vietnamese, Irish and Asian students. All the Black History Month materials I've received seem to concentrate on Black American or Carribean history. (Most of our Black students are African) Should I just concentrate on Black history and address the 'others' at a different time? Is it my place to appropriate Black History Month and turn it into 'Multi-cultural History Month'?

I have had many heated discussions with contributors to the events that I run, from students and from friends about this. At my school I call it 'Black and Asian History Month' and I see it as a vehicle for promoting multicultural history. I have been accused of being a white liberal cutlural imperialist who is diluting the meaning of BHM. My response is twofold - firstly in my school I have tried (with some success) to integrate black and Asian History into the History curriculum, for example the beginning history test in term 1 for year 7 is based on two sources about a black trumpeter at the Tudor court. This means that BHM is not just a once a year focus but is part of the whole syllabus and is a great opportunity to raise the profile of the dept as well as being as inclusive as possible - secondly I would love to be in the situation where we really did not have the need for BHM, that there were many more black and asian history teachers (or teachers in general), but lets be honest how many do you know? I can count the number that I have met on one hand. So until that point I will do my best as a white middle class 'bleeding' liberal to make sure that the students at my school feel included in a curriculum that still excludes them.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#41 MissKay

MissKay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:12 PM

Many thanks for the Elizabethan stuff, that certainly gives me some more concrete ideas.

I've decided to 'do' Black history month, as to ignore it is probably worse than treading on people's toes, however I'm going to put the emphasis more on multi-culturalism.

#42 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

If you want some assembly material then pm me and I can send you the one that I gave last year. If you want to do some stuff on the Romans then the main topic to look at is the role of African soldiers in the Roman army (remains were found at Hadrains Wall) and the Roman Emperor Setptimius Severus who was born in Libya http://www.romans-in...bio_severus.htm

Edited by Dan Lyndon, 19 September 2004 - 07:26 PM.

comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#43 georginadunn

georginadunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:56 PM

Dan

Am off to check out your site. We are combining our theme with the racism in football angle. Am going to check out the library to see if I can put together some materials on the history of football and then get pupils to research a famous 'black' footballer (or non-english player at that) before we invite players from Derby & Notts to come and speak here. My biggest worry is getting lynched - but if I can teach BPOA and make it, this should be okay too - and none of my posters have been defaced yet!!!! :D
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody's watching.

#44 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:11 PM

I think the best angle would be to turn it into 'World History Month' and make it a genuinely inclusive event celebrating everybody. BHM is, after all, an American import and reflects the needs/issues they have. Also I am fed up being told stuff like celebrating Ramadan equates to understanding Muslim culture in the same way (or even that Holocaust memorial day is the Jewish equivalent to BHM - which I have genuinely been told, and which I find shocking!).

However you do have to be prepared for some extreme reactions - as Dan L has described (There are one or two staff with entrenched positions on this that barely talk to me!). It really will put noses out of joint. But I think it is worth it - ALL the students will be interested in each other rather than taking up the 'its not my History so why should I be interested' attitude that they may well be getting from home. Of course, we do have to ensure that black/asian/etc History is built into your schemes of work, rather than treating it as something separate. It works much better that way as Dan has also said.

Great ideas include all the brilliant BHM ideas above; running a Mela; family histories - where has my family come from (see how far back they can find out) - G&T students could run a survey, or you could run a competition ' the most amazing ancestor/journey in my family' and so on. National dress day is cool too (though its just an excuse for me to get the kilt out really).

Get as many departments involved and really make it about all the students AND staff. This may be easier in such a mixed school as mine, but I genuinely believe we can make a difference this way.

Donald

Edited by donald cumming, 20 September 2004 - 05:13 PM.

#45 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for all these excellent ideas - they will come in very useful. Do feel free to post any further ideas that you have!

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users