• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 H Medland

H Medland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

The American Air Museum Summer Residency Program is a unique professional development opportunity run by the Imperial War Museum, in which teachers from the USA and UK share ideas and practice, immersed in the historic setting of IWM Duxford.

By taking part in this program you will build a transatlantic network of colleagues, learn from others in a collaborative and inspiring environment, and develop your knowledge of Second World War history through close encounters with primary evidence.

You will take part in exclusive tours and special lectures at the museum and significant sites in the local area. Museum professionals, re-enactors and veterans will deliver sessions to deepen your understanding and interest in Second World War history, especially the air war. You will work in teams to draw from the information and primary sources gained to create bespoke best practice learning activities that you will test in on local children in a Summer Camp environment.

The program is demanding, but rewarding. As well as creating material to take back to the classroom, you will have the opportunity for deeper reflection on a core subject than it is possible to achieve during term time.

Participation in the Summer Residency is subsidised and the majority of expenses including accommodation, meals, transport to the AAM and field trips and educational resources are free of charge. Following the 2.5 week Summer Residency, you will need to commit to carrying out a class project with your students at your school.

Applicants should submit their CV, a short statement (no more than a page) outlining their interest in the project, and a letter of support from their head teacher or head of department, indicating that they have the school’s backing to participate and to carry out follow-up project activities in school. We are looking for teachers from middle or secondary schools, focusing on 11-13 year olds.

For more information, please contact Jenny Cousins jcousins@iwm.org.uk or 01223 497209 with any questions or to submit applications.

The deadline for applications is 31 January 2013.

'Words cannot describe how much of a morale boost that this opportunity has given me in terms of my teaching strategies and ideas.’

‘The things that you allowed me and the other members of the program to experience are going to stay with me for the rest of my life and I feel that my students are going to greatly benefit from what I experienced.’

AAM 2012 program participants

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CPD, Development, Museum education, History, World War Two, America, US

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users