2 replies to this topic

#1 oliviermarthaler

oliviermarthaler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:16 PM

Dear all,

Developing from my previous message, and after some investigation, I seem to have found out that no real nazi spying activity had taken place in Britain during the Second World War.

Is that correct, or would you have some more information and references on that subject?

I would appreciate any hint concerning this topic, as a student is trying to do some research work, connecting fiction (Follett's "Eye of the Needle") and real facts.

Thank you very much in advance for your help,

Olivier

#2 Mark H.

Mark H.

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

Thanks to excellent counter-espionage work done by MI5 before the outbreak of hostilities, the German spy network in Britain was neutralised at the start of the Second World War. In one of the most brilliant intelligence operations in History, the 'Double Cross' committee, headed by J. C. Masterman, then 'turned' the captured German spies and used them to supply false information to the Nazis. New German agents were apprehended as they arrived in the UK and likewise transformed into double agents, working for the British. The Double Cross Committee also invented whole networks of fake spies, supposedly British traitors, who supplied their controllers with information ( actually concocted by Masterman and Co) which was then sent on to Germany. The Double Cross agents played a vital role in the elaborate deception operation 'Fortitude' which convinced the Nazis that the Normandy landings were a diversion and that the real invasion would take place near Calais. Another important use was in the supplying of false information about the landing sites of V1 Flying Bombs to cause the Germans to make incorrect adjustments to aiming and fuel load.
Probably the most effective of the Double Cross agents was the Spaniard Juan Pujol Garcia alias 'Garbo'.
See http://www.nationala...doublecross.htm and the book 'Double Cross' by Ben MacIntyre.
The end result was that the Germans basically had no effective spy system ( or 'Humint' as it is called) operating in the UK during the Second World War. They thought they did, but it was actually being run by the British!

Edited by Mark H., 28 August 2015 - 03:20 PM.

In memory of my boyhood hero Jim Clark (1936-1968): 'Chevalier Sans Peur et Sans Reproche'.

#3 oliviermarthaler

oliviermarthaler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:16 PM

Dear Mark,

Thanks a lot for this quick and very helpful answer. BTW last month I read the Eldorado Network by D Robinson, so I had some info on Garbo, as well, and my personal research also tended to tell me there would be nothing else on the subject of Nazi spies...

So your message does confirm that looking deeper into this subject would be a dead-end subject for my student. I guess he will have to modify his research into Double Cross agents, or develop an analysis on fiction stories. Whatever he chooses to do, I will definitely forward him the link you've just provided me with.

Once more, thank you very much indeed. If you're interested, I will let you know what topic my student will eventually choose!

All the best from Switzerland,

Olivier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users