• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 StevenM

StevenM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:50 PM

Hi there, I was wondering if anybody has some suggestions for good starters for lessons on Cromwell? Also, does anyone have any 'fun' activities that can break up my lessons on this topic? There seems to be an awful lot of source analysis. My lessons are structured as follows: 1. Cromwell - independent research 2. Drogheda 3. Hero or villain - how views have changed over time 4. Hero or villain - you decide I would be happy to share lesson plans for critique / use by others if anyone is interesting in feeding back on my lessons. Many thanks.

#2 Maggie Smith

Maggie Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

I use a photo of Cromwell's statue outside the Houses of Parliament, asking what does it tell us, what does it suggest. I mention it is one of only two statues there - does he deserve this honour? This can lead to group investigations on the areas you mention. There is also a BBC History File programme on Cromwell that lasts 20mins If you did Richard the Lionheart in Yr 7 you could link this why are these two men outside Parliament, considering their reputations. Who should have a statue? Across the road is a small bust of CharlesI - thought bubbles on what each man is thinking as they face each other leads to some interesting discussions

#3 Liz T

Liz T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:23 PM

Quiz, Quiz, Trade to gather basic facts, then independent follow-up using texts. Pupils write a primary source and a secondary source to show different interpretations of Cromwell. Homework is a 'talking heads' activity where pupils write a conversation between Charles I and Cromwell debating who was the most effective ruler. Pupils peer assess this. Assessment is a 'how and why' question based on a contemporary and secondary source (spread over several lessons).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Civil War, Cromwell, KS3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users