26 replies to this topic

#16 Nichola Boughey

Nichola Boughey

Nichola

• Admin
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Guys,

as a non HOD I am just curious as to what qualities you would give an interviewer if they asked what you thought was neccessary for a new HOD?

Anything jump out at people?

#17 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:14 AM

At my place the focus is on leader as opposed to manager. Managers do things right - Leaders do the right thing. Look at how to develop and lead the team - see where the changes are and look at how to make them and get the best out of your team.
Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#18 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:25 AM

At my place the focus is on leader as opposed to manager. Managers do things right - Leaders do the right thing. Look at how to develop and lead the team - see where the changes are and look at how to make them and get the best out of your team.

Neil's right... Have a vision and a plan of how to get there. If you can get a glimpse of the dept SEF or DIP you could have an idea of what's currently going on, and that's a good place to start. Smashing way to start an interview: "What is the main point in the Dept Improvement Plan as it stands?"
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#19 Joel Thorpe

Joel Thorpe

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 01:06 PM

I must agree with, and thank all of the positive comments and suggestions that have been made here. I began my job as HOD at Christmas and the person before me left (or did, don't know which) nothing. In some ways it has been great to start with a blank page in other ways I have been really struggling. The comments on this forum have been invaluable to help me fashion what I think (in my biased opinion) is a very focussed and fun sow with a particularly strong emphasis on local history.

THANK YOU ALL!
:jump :u star:

"I've spent my money on birds, booze and fast cars. The rest of it, I squandered!"George Best

"Oh well, what the hell!!" - Hungry Joe

#20 Nikita

Nikita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

i wish id read this when i applied for assistant head of faculty :curse:

i got the job anyway :teacher:

#21 Craig

Craig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

Bring on the interviews next year, should smash them with all this advice... :geek:
www.historystuff.co.uk

#22 Emma_Kramer

Emma_Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

My HoD has told me she is thinking of retiring at the end of the year. This is my first school and I'm now in my 5th year of teaching. I love being a classroom teacher, but also would like more responsiblity. However, I got married 2 yrs ago, and am planning on having children in the next few years. Will this put me at a disadvantage if I were to go for the job?
Also, what qualities do you think you need to be a good HoD?

#23 Hannah W.

Hannah W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

As far as I know equal opportunities laws say that employers can't discriminate based on the fact that you might get pregnant in the next few years.

If you register on the NCSL website www.nationalcollege.org.uk/ you can download leaflets used in the Leading from the Middle courses which are good to read before interivews - e.g. The Heart of the Matter - which has a section on what do middle leaders do.
stock your mind, it's your own house of treasures and nobody else in the world can interfere with it

#24 Emma_Kramer

Emma_Kramer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

As far as I know equal opportunities laws say that employers can't discriminate based on the fact that you might get pregnant in the next few years.

If you register on the NCSL website www.nationalcollege.org.uk/ you can download leaflets used in the Leading from the Middle courses which are good to read before interivews - e.g. The Heart of the Matter - which has a section on what do middle leaders do.

Thank you for that information! I will do!

Emma

#25 Dave Wallbanks

Dave Wallbanks

• Admin
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

I was asked by a colleague to find this seminar and it took me ages but with over 110,000 views I'm actually pretty proud of what the various people here contributed and much of the advice for HODs is still relevant 9 years after it was first published. I just wonder what people would advise new and aspirant Heads of History in the current era?
There is a light and it never goes out.
Go pray in my church!
http://www.nufc.com

#26 Jenjane

Jenjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

The key priority at the moment is to be abreast of all the changes that are coming up- they are changing at an almost daily rate, so in order to have long term planning for a department you need to know what is coming up, and of course this forum is a fantasitc place to keep on top of all of them. You need to be aware as soon as possible so that you can make your SMT aware of anything that they need to be ie I will need a masive increase in budget to spend on the textbooks for the new course, can we have a day off timetable next term to plan the SOW?

Also, when picking a new course you need to consider several things: what do you do now? do the students like it? do the students do well? is it well resourced (from textbooks to exam board advice)? Are teachers willing to make the change if it will be huge? Would a change result in your department being over-reliant on one person/resource? Have you listened to the department's views', or just your own?

Jane

Jane

#27 Lindsay_Merrony

Lindsay_Merrony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

The number one quality is that you allow the Teachers in your department to plan, teach and mark and the HoD does everything s/he can to protect the Teachers from all the other 'stuff' that distracts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users