• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#46 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:00 PM

I started having meetings with pupils about BHM in July and they are soooooooooooo enthusiastic!!

You are absolutely right, Mal, everytime I organise events I am overwhelmed by the positive responses that I get from pupils, staff and outside speakers

BHM magazine, include articles on famous Black people Past present and future, fashion, current affairs etc

I really like this idea, I may have to copy this one

We are hoping to have meetings with dept heads to try to ensure that this is Black History should not be confined to OCT. For example I have moved the teaching of Black Peoples of the Americas from Oct to next year so that it is not all in one month and forgotten about.......... this was a major concern of many pupils.

This is a crucial point - it is vital to make this a whole school event and something that should not be confined to October and the responsibility if the History dept. I am working closely with the Food Tech dept for the International Food Day, and one of the Maths teachers is helping me with the competition we have entered. I shall also be talking about BHM at a staff meeting on the first day and at the first HoDs meeting. It is good to get your SLT on board to support your plans.

I would love to have speakers come in so Dan if you could pass some Ph no.s on to me I would be VERY grateful as I wouldn't know where to start.

If you pm / email me we can talk about this

Edited by Dan Lyndon, 18 August 2004 - 04:03 PM.

Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#47 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

I thought it would be useful to refresh this post as we are now half way through black history month and I was wondering if members either wanted to
1) find out about resources / ideas for BHM
2) post up what they have been doing to celebrate BHM

I have had a very busy and exciting couple of weeks with a large variety of events: http://www.comptonhi...com/bhm2005.htm but the highlight was hearing my students talking about how being taught a multicultural curriculum has made them feel so positive about history. One of them talked about how he felt that for the first time he was a member of the school community. Another great moment came when one of the teachers that I interviewed about growing up in South Africa (he was 'coloured') said that loads of students had been talking to him about it and that he had really enjoyed being able to discuss his experiences. He also asked to borrow some textbooks from me because he had been deprived of learning the true history of his country.
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users