9 replies to this topic

#1 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

I am a complete novice with social media I don't do facebook and don't really understand twitter but it must be useful for something so I am trying to jump in!  Can anyone recommend things they follow and even tell me how to do this as I don't know.  For example one of the posts mentioned following the SHP confernece on twitter - how do you do this?  Thanks for helping with my ignorance!

HollyS

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

Hi - if you create an account you then need to start following a few people.  Major events will have a hashtag - this is where a term is used to 'tag' tweets to a specific event.  You can search Twitter for specific hashtags and then you can start following people that you'd like to.  You are in complete control so I'd suggest following about 20 - 30 people to start with and then you'll pick up their tweets and go from there.

SHP had a hashtag of #shp2014 and you can find that here: https://twitter.com/hashtag/shp2014

Give it a try and do post again with any further questions.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

Russell has a really useful list of Historians and History Teachers on his website. It's based on people who use the #historyteacher hashtag. 

http://www.activehis...oryteacherlist/

#4 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

That's great thanks - it is sonewhere to start at least

HollyS

#5 Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

• Admin
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

I produced a 'getting started on Twitter' guide for history teachers which you can access here.

I've also produced a list of historians on Twitter and (as Dan said) a directory of history teachers on Twitter.

If you add hashtags to your history related posts (e.g. #historyteacher - UK based, #histedchat - Australian, #sschat - USA, #twitterstorians - professional historians) then you'll reach a wider audience and pick up more followers too.

"There's an old saying about those who forget history. I don't remember it, but it's good" - Stephen Colbert

#6 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Russel

#7 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

Holly - let us know what your username is. Sure we can muster a few followers for you to get things going!

#8 HollyS

HollyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

Thanks but I think I am just going to lurk for a bit rather than post - not ready to jump that far!

Got a bit scared when someone I followed followed me back as if they were doing me a favour - the pressure!!

Hollys

#9 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

Might be worth just engaging with a few 'known' names then. Sure you'll recognise a handful from the lists noted above. 

#10 Ed Podesta

Ed Podesta

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

Following lots of historians is a great idea, they often post interesting snippets and fascinating details of sources or individuals that you might otherwise miss.

"In the past, philosophers have sought only to understand the world. The point is also to change it." - K. Marx
"Classification is exceedingly tedious" - I. Berlin

ModernWorldGcseHistory.1.gif

OneDamnThing.1.gif

Podestaorguk.1.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users