• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:52 PM

On a recent INSET of AS Edexcel we were told NOT to quote Historians - at all. Just passing on the message. :unsure:

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#32 Carole Faithorn

Carole Faithorn

Carole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,279 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:53 PM

I don't know specifically about Edexcel AS, but as a general rule the papers set by any of the Boards for AS don't normally require the use and evaluation of historians' views. I never encouraged AS candidates to use quotations since they are invariably just 'decoration' at that level - so I can see where Edexcel is coming from.

On the other hand, the OCR A2 Historical Investigations paper specifically requires an awareness of how historians have interpreted the past and candidates' answers can be enhanced by the judicious use of quotation - as long as they evaluate the views they quote

#33 Ovidius

Ovidius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:12 AM

I know this is a rather old discussion, however this book is extremely useful for AS and A2 level students if you can convince them to use it.

The Usborne Guide to Better English: Grammar, spelling and punctuationBy Robyn Gee and Carol Watson.

This is just a simple guide thats especially for students who don't study English and may have had difficulty with GCSE English.

#34 Dafydd Humphreys

Dafydd Humphreys

Thinking outside the box...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,309 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:11 AM

One final thing. I use a couple of articles from the History Today- History Review website that gives good, sensible study skills advice to new A Level students. You used to be able to download copies of this for free but the link doesn't seem to work this evening. Perhaps it pay only now? If it still doesn't work tomorrow, I'll put them on my site.

The History Review article 'How to write an essay under Exam conditions' is still available for free, but unfortunately the (in my view better) 'How to write an Essay' article by Gareth Affleck is no longer free and is only available to subscribers to the magazine or on a pay-for-view basis.

A bit 'off-topic', but the article on Tackling Source based questions at AS/A2 levels is still free as is How much historiography should be included in essays?

Scrounge alert - has anyone got a copy of the Affleck essay I could 'read' as I don't want to give my credit card details to Questia or any other corp.
My Youtube Channels: <a href="http://www.youtube.c...m/Learnhistory" target="_blank">LearnHistory</a> (RIP) :( and <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory2" target="_blank">LearnHistory2</a> and now <a href="http://www.youtube.c.../Learnhistory3" target="_blank">LearnHistory3</a>

#35 chriswalker

chriswalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:32 AM

I've sent a copy Dafydd.

#36 NeilM

NeilM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:11 AM

Morning

I thought I'd add my own contribution of how to tackle these certain generic problems at AS level.

Firstly I rigorously use a keyword approach, which provides comfortable continuity with KS4 courses, also regularly test keywords and engaging starters using/testing keywords. This allows lower ability students to grow in confidence. A glossary is put in their Starter Pack for Sept.

Secondly I insist as many have already hinted at, at high quality individual feedback one-to-one if possible. Students complete a proforma for every essay they get back. This they keep in order to see both their progression and hopefully can return to them as a checklist for newer essays.

I also use a variation of the PEEL paragraph: the PHEEL paragraph - ensure they get a 'pheel' for what's required in their essays. In keeping with some of the AfL work already done in KS4, they regularly review and critique essays, highlighting te good, bad and ugly elements.

Lastly I give students an Essay Questions Plate. Blown up to A3 students can plan the parts of an essay, linking to Questions etc and then chose their hierarchy of most important factors to the least.

Hope these resources make clear this explanation and in some way help to ease a big burden we're all labouring beneath!!

enjoy!

Attached Files

NeilM

Life is an elaborate metaphor for Cricket.

We are at times too ready to believe that the present is the only possible state of things Marcel Proust (1871-1922)
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes. Marcel Proust,

#37 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

If you have access to Teaching History, issue 129 has an article on essay structure. Not all of it is applicable, but it is thought provoking. 'Slaying dragons and socerers in Year 12: In search of historical argument' by Michael Fordham.

#38 JasonM

JasonM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

If you have access to Teaching History, issue 129 has an article on essay structure. Not all of it is applicable, but it is thought provoking. 'Slaying dragons and socerers in Year 12: In search of historical argument' by Michael Fordham.

Yes, Teaching History or anything any textbook on college/essay writing.

#39 deb g

deb g

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

One final thing. I use a couple of articles from the History Today- History Review website that gives good, sensible study skills advice to new A Level students. You used to be able to download copies of this for free but the link doesn't seem to work this evening. Perhaps it pay only now? If it still doesn't work tomorrow, I'll put them on my site.

The History Review article 'How to write an essay under Exam conditions' is still available for free, but unfortunately the (in my view better) 'How to write an Essay' article by Gareth Affleck is no longer free and is only available to subscribers to the magazine or on a pay-for-view basis.

A bit 'off-topic', but the article on Tackling Source based questions at AS/A2 levels is still free as is How much historiography should be included in essays?

cannot acces these essay writing articles as the link is broken do you have any suggestions as they sound useful! thanks deb g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users