9 replies to this topic

#1 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Sally Thorne & I are running a workshop on:

Removing the invisibility cloak. Going SOLO: How to make learning GCSE History visible using SOLO taxonomy

This session will serve as an introduction to using SOLO taxonomy in the history classroom. Come along and take away practical classroom activities, ideas and strategies to help your students remove the invisibility cloak that obscures their learning; helping them to see relevant threads and connections.

The versatility of SOLO Taxonomy encompasses assessment for learning, differentiation, literacy, source evaluation, independent learning and group work. It allows you to precisely target learning intentions, making the learning visible and transparent for all learners. Use SOLO to feed up your students on where they are going; give them feedback on how well they are doing and feed forward on their next learning steps.

Address the needs of all your learners in the mixed ability classroom. Improve grade D/E students with feed forward towards grade C success by showing them how to see connections and the overall meaning so they can connect and relate to relevant ideas. Feed up grade B students to A/A* to help them put their learning into a new context that requires them to judge, evaluate, theorise and create new ideas. Feed back with time saving strategies to help improve literacy using peer and self assessment that puts the onus back on the students to succeed.

Examples taken from GCSE SHP, Modern World and key stage 3 History.

Coming soon to this thread the materials that supported this workshop.

Enjoy
Lesley Ann & Sally.
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#2 Elle

Elle

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

I misread that as taxidermy...

Removing the invisibility cloak. Going SOLO: How to make learning GCSE History visible using SOLO taxonomy

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

#3 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

😄 LOL I promise you that there will be no preparing or stuffing of dead animals & birds.

Although after the week I've had I feel pretty stuffed & ready for displaying.

#4 Paul Bradshaw

Paul Bradshaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi Lesley Ann,

Thank you for your session at SHP. Solo is new to me. I enjoyed your seminar and have taken away some ideas which I will try to use with my pupils. I feel the need to consolidate your information before I start. Could you please send me the power point you used in the seminar so I can go through in all again before jumping in?

Thanks again,

Paul Bradshaw

#5 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Uploading it later...

I'm pleased you enjoyed the session & found it useful. Thank you

I intend to chunk the SOLO workshop into different postings within this thread to support those who did not attend SHP25. 

#6 Sally Thorne

Sally Thorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

Hi Lesley Ann,

Thank you for your session at SHP. Solo is new to me. I enjoyed your seminar and have taken away some ideas which I will try to use with my pupils. I feel the need to consolidate your information before I start. Could you please send me the power point you used in the seminar so I can go through in all again before jumping in?

Thanks again,

Paul Bradshaw

Hi Paul,

I'm sure Lesley Ann will be back with the PowerPoint asap but in the meantime it, and some of the other resources, are on my blog here -

http://sallythorne.c...onomy-workshop/

Glad it was useful.

#7 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

What is SOLO Taxonomy?

SOLO (Structure of Observed Learning Outcomes) is a model of learning that helps develop a common understanding & language of learning that helps teachers (and students) understand the learning process.

This model describes levels of increasing complexity in the understanding of subjects.
The complexity grows from surface to deeper conceptual understanding through the SOLO levels.

John B. Biggs and K. Collis (1982)

Watch this short video clip using Lego

#8 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

SOLO explained

Attached Files

#9 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Coming later - SOLO in action..

#10 John Perkins

John Perkins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

This stuff is great. It has set me off on a trail of reading and I have my next action research sorted. Thanks for this. Always inpsiring Lesley!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users