• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

I dream of teaching with a tablet in front of the class. At first I thought of buying myself an iPad & some sort of gadget to connect to to the whiteboard. Now I'm thinking of a Windows tablet because office is installed (& I have hundreds of resources on PPT) plus it can be both tablet & laptop with the keyboard. Has anyone used a windows tablet for teaching or would an iPad be better?

If I had a Santa teaching wish list it would be for a tablet.
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#2 Andrew Field

Andrew Field

Andrew

• Admin
  • 6,969 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Good question - the one reason to purchase a Windows tablet is that it can run Microsoft Office so you could use it in the way you describe. However, your PowerPoint resources -and PowerPoint itself - haven't been created for mobile use. Thus whilst you'll be able to edit and manipulate resources like this on a Windows tablet you aren't really going to gain significantly more than just using a clicker device that allows you to move onto the next slide and similar. A £20 control device gives you as much control of your presentations in class.

Also do you have wi-fi in your classroom? If so then it will all connect, if not then it won't even communicate with your computer.

Neither device is actually going to make a sizable shift in your teaching - it is still down to your own talents.

An iPad is a much more usable personal device and is an ideal device to use at home for email, internet use and similarly uses. As this is something you'll be purchasing yourself I'd suggest going for the device that will be of most use for you personally. If you do get an iPad you can run software called www.airserver.com - this makes your iPad appear on your computer screen / on the projector. I use this on a daily basis to share the iPad screen in class.

Thus either tablet could offer benefits but I don't personally feel a Windows tablet is sufficiently good to justify its purchase because you can show / edit PowerPoint wirelessly. With a Windows one you can directly access your files but there are many tools on any tablet where you can do similar.

My best advice? Work out your budget, talk to tech at school to see what they recommend and then goto a PC World or similar and try out which one feels the most comfortable.

Generate your own versions of my games, quizzes and eLearning activities: ContentGenerator.net

#3 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

Thank you - great advice Andrew :-)

#4 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Personally, I would recommend that you get a tablet for your own use, and purchase a notebook with wifi for the classroom, the notebook, will allow you to do everything you need to do as if you are on a PC, as well as remotely control the whiteboard, whereas doing this with a tablet, at the moment is expensive.

And if you are getting a notebook, you can choose your tablet, I personally think the Nexus is better than the windows and the ipad

"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#5 Alex Ford

Alex Ford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I would second Tony's point. I ahve been using an iPad for 2 years nearly now and I seldom if ever use it to project on the board. Quite useful as a markbook and for havign copies of notes etc. but not really worth £350. I think at £200 or so it might be worthwhile - could always look at last gen iPad mini or of course iPad 2.

Twitter: @apf102 @AndAllThatWeb
Web: www.andallthat.co.uk
Web: andallthatweb.wordpress.com

#6 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Apple Educational resellers will sell them at cheaper prices to schools - your school might be able to work with you if you are going to use it.  Presumably Microsoft and others do the same. 

I'd think about what you want to use it for - as a learning tool with the students so you can display their work/use creative apps/etc?  or simply as a productivity tool for you?

:-)

#7 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Thank you Guys. Food for thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users