• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

At the National SHP Conference in Leeds 2015 I ran a workshops on History and Literacy combined. I intended to post the resources used in the workshop to this thread.

Lots of the strategies I shared are what I consider #quickwins. Strategies that can be adapted and used with very little preparation. Furthemore they can be transferred to other subjects. I hope you will find this thread and the resources useful.

You can follow the conference on Twitter #shp15 and #shp2015 #historyteacher

Lesley Ann McDermott July 2015
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#2 neil mcdonald

neil mcdonald

Neil McDonald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:39 PM

Thank you so much.

Bernard Woolley: Have the countries in alphabetical order? Oh no, we can't do that, we'd put Iraq next to Iran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bernard Woolley: That's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I give confidential security briefings. You leak. He has been charged under section 2a of the Official Secrets Act.

#3 Hannah W.

Hannah W.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

I look forward to seeing them. Thanks for sharing. I have a friend who is being interviewed for the position of literacy coordinator tomorrow. It would be great for her to see them assuming she is successful!
stock your mind, it's your own house of treasures and nobody else in the world can interfere with it

#4 alisoncav

alisoncav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hi

Not wanting to sound cheeky but any chance I could get a copy of the boarding card?

Thanks
Alison

#5 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:03 PM

Not a problem. I will upload this weekend. Was away for most of the holidays & been focused on school since I got back.

#6 tbryson

tbryson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:09 AM

Hi Lesley I am not on twitter - could you post any of your exciting resources for History and Literacy on this site please Many Thanks Terri

#7 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:42 PM

Etch-a-sketch Draw an event from the 20th Century - which was the most significant?

Attached Files

#8 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:47 PM

Alphabet analyser - great starter exercise - place image in centre with alphabet around the outside, highlight 3 letters in red. Students come up with words connected to the image starting with one of the letters in red. You will be surprised by the responses given See PowerPoint Other ideas on this presentation: A-Z game Wordle Top Ten word list -

Attached Files

#9 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:58 PM

Boarding Card New spin on exit ticket idea from Talkless Teaching Isabella Wallace. QR Codes with website links on for students who were absent last lesson or ones who want more information. If absent last lesson students should write 3 things they learned from the lesson before. Students are to record what they learned last lesson, ideas they are still unsure about and something they are confident about. At the end of lesson they complete the landing card. This on A5 then sticks in exercise books. I greet the students at the door like an air hostess, handing the boarding cards out. Releasing my inner air hostess. Michael Buble Come Fly with me is playing in the background. I tell my students to take their seats, store their luggage under the tables, seat belts on, we are going on a journey. The emergency exits are here, here and here (pointing to my 2nd floor window). We will experience no turbulence ie bad behaviour. The resource trolley will be around shortly. Enjoy

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Literacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users