• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Devilira

Devilira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 02:06 PM

I am hoping that someone on this forum may be able to offer me some advice.

I am starting a new job next year teaching overseas in a school that follows the Cambridge IGCSE Modern World History course.

Looking at the plans the school have e-mailed it seems that every year whatever the prescribed topic is they miss this unit out of their core teaching and then have a rush through skills based unit just before the exam to cover it. I am confused by this approach my new HoD has definitely stated that the prescribed topic never turns up on the core paper 1 and so as long as the source skills are covered through the year that is all we need to focus on. I don't know if this is true however. From the Core past papers I have so far down-loaded it does seem to be true but what concerns me is that nowhere in the syllabus does it clearly state that the prescribed topic will definitely not be examined in the core paper. Potentially not teaching this topic could leave the students short of options in their exam if it does indeed turn up on Paper 1.

I was wondering if anyone out there works in a department that has a similar policy, or if they know that this policy is right or not. I have never taught IGCSE before so I just don't know what is normal practise.

Hoping someone can help.

Thank you

#2 TraceyL

TraceyL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 01:39 PM

But surely if they are doing the depth study - Germany - for example, then having an in-depth knowledge of the fairness of whether the peace treaties (2017 paper) could be useful in understanding how that Nazi's were able to come to power in the first place. I would see how the prescribed topic fits with your in-depth study when focussing study. My personal thoughts....

By the way, I am new to this exam board as well, so if someone does know better, please say..

xx

#3 Meg1

Meg1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:40 AM

I teach everything, I start with the core content peace treaties, League of Nations, I then go onto the Germany depth study and then back to approach to WWII and that's Y10. Y11 I start with Cold War and go through to Gulf.

You are given a prescribed topic for Paper 2, the source paper but I'm not sure that's a guarantee it won't ever come up on Paper 1? To be able to gain good marks on Paper 2 students need much more than just 'source skills' they have to know the context of the time (they are asked does Source X surprise you etc) so covering the knowledge is pretty important in my opinion!

There are some great private/closed Facebook groups for teachers of other GCSE exam boards so I've set one up today (it's called IGCSE History teachers) if you would like to join to share some ideas I've already put my two year week by week plan into a shared Google Drive folder on there, I'd love to share some ideas with other teachers in international schools as I'm the only History teacher teaching IGCSE in the school at the moment!

Megan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users