• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I currently teach A Level Edexcel Politics. For A2 we do Topic B at Unit 3 and 4 at the moment - that's the UK Political Issues and EU options. We are thinking of changing Unit 4. We would still offer Unit 3 B "Introducing UK Political issues" but would now offer Unit 4 C " Governing the USA".

My question is: Would our students "suffer" from offering the USA option at Unit 4 having NOT done it at Unit 3. I know the specification changed recently so we can do this kind of split but is is advisable to do America for both Units or neither rather than split it like this? Would some of the questions on the Unit 4 exam require knowledge gained from doing Unit 3 or are they totally stand alone Units.

Does anyone teach a "split" A Level Politics course? Does it work?

I want to teach America but a whole year of it may be too much and not in the best interests of our students.

Thanks

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#2 Lou Phillips

Lou Phillips

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I split my A2 units- I do Unit 4 Governing the USA first (Jan exam) as I think it fits better with AS Unit 2 Governing the UK, and then do Unit 3 Introducing Political Ideologies second (June exam). You don't need the unit 3 stuff to do unit 4. My students like it as it some variety- and it keeps me sane! My results are pretty good. Usually at least 50% high grades.
"True generosity towards the future consists of giving everything to the present" Albert Camus

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon"

#3 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

I am currently tutoring the AQA course, and find the USA much more interesting than the UK units, the examples are more memorable, an advantage is that the student has studied the Civil Rights movement in History.
If you are like me, then you will always teach better something you are enthusiastic about.
Another insentive could be the distance, most students will not have any pre-conceived ideas or opinions on USA, allowing for more open debate?
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#4 Lou Phillips

Lou Phillips

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I agree, our history dept does a lof of American history (civil war at AS, civil rights at A2) so they have some good examples. I think students do have preconceptions about American government (President being most powerful man in the world etc) and its nice to 'burst these bubbles'!
"True generosity towards the future consists of giving everything to the present" Albert Camus

#5 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

most students will not have any pre-conceived ideas or opinions on USA, allowing for more open debate?

sorry typo, should be 'Many' nor 'any', I agree with Lou, it is good to show the complexity, the political culture beyond the President,
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#6 Dom_Giles

Dom_Giles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of doing some American Politics at A2 I just don't think I want to do a whole year - hence the split idea. Lou I' m interested to see the options you've gone for. That looks like what I want to do. UK political issues at unit 3 and then USA at unit 4 . Interesting to see that you do unit 4 first. Something for me to think about...

Thinking is SO important Baldrick. What do YOU think?
I think thinking is SO important, my Lord.

#7 Lou Phillips

Lou Phillips

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

If you want my USA SOW I am in the middle of rewriting it for next year (I am leaving so its for my successor). PM me your e-mail address and I can send it over if you like.

#8 MissW

MissW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:00 AM

Hi I have taken over a department and not had ever taught nor will be teaching Politics, but leading members also new who are I wondered if anyone had any schemes of learning for the A2 units ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users