20 replies to this topic

#1 Ian Stew

Ian Stew

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:59 AM

Hi all,

Having read the syllabus for 2015 I notice there are changes afoot. We study the 20th Century option and we will need to cover the first Gulf War. Coursework has been re-designed and looks less like a hoop jumping exercise and more rigor. Any thoughts or feedback on the changes? I will be formulating a question for approval for the Germany Depth study coursework.

thanks

Ian :afro:

#2 Russell Courts

Russell Courts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

Doesn't affect us at all! We do the alternatives to coursework paper and we always covered the causes of WWI from option A instead of the UNO from option B anyway. Good luck though.
I think I'll have strawberry...

#3 Laurence Hicks

Laurence Hicks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

The layout and mark scheme for P1 have also changed, while P2 remains pretty much as before. The biggest change concerns P4 which is now comprises just a single essay question (from a choice of two) for each depth study, but it will probably prepare students a little better for the transition to A Levels or IB.
"What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?"

#4 Russell Courts

Russell Courts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

Fair point Laurence, hadn't read it that carefully! P4 will definitely be more useful as far as prep for A level goes.

#5 Gwendoline

Gwendoline

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

We are starting this course in September, and am looking forward to it. Have to admit the P4 paper does worry me a bit but we think it is a better alternative to what we have. Do you know of any websites which are good for materials for this course? We have started initial planning, but every little helps.....!!

#6 Laurence Hicks

Laurence Hicks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Active History (http://www.activehistory.co.uk/) has IGCSE material, as does International School History (http://www.internati...istory/home.htm). The basic idea is to cover each of the core syllabus topics in six weeks or so, and to integrate P1 and P2 skills as you go along. As you may have gathered, one of the tricks of the trade is to teach the causes of World War One as part of the Twentieth Century option, especially as it is now one of the Depth Study choices. However, this rather depends on your choice of text books - Walsh includes the causes of World War One, but McAleavy doesn't. (NB A new text book from OUP is due out in August http://www.amazon.co...=I1GCE97WB5L49T.) As far as Coursework/P4 goes, you'll need to get accredited for the former, but if you were to plump for P4 then you may find that it will be better to teach the Depth Study last of all, since the P4 skills would appear to be more demading than those required for P1.

#7 Jim Belben

Jim Belben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Just to let you know that we (Hodder) are publishing a new IGCSE specific edition of Ben Walsh's Modern World History in August this year. See link here.

@HodderHistory
www.hoddereducation.co.uk

#8 Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

• Admin
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

The changes look pretty good to me: the introduction of a Depth Study on the Events of World War One in particular is a welcome addition, and I think the change to one lengthier written assignment for coursework is much better in helping students prepare for IB / A-Level.

"There's an old saying about those who forget history. I don't remember it, but it's good" - Stephen Colbert

#9 Laurence Hicks

Laurence Hicks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

I teach Germany P4, and in the past I've followed a sort of chronological approach, which means teaching Germany 1918-45 in terms 2 and 3 after Versailles and the League of Nations. However, it would probably make sense to teach this option last of all, since the P4 skills would appear to be more demanding than those of the core syllabus (ie P1 and P2). Is anybody else thinking of adjusting their SOW in light of the curriculum changes?

On a separate matter, I'd be most interested to hear from any brave soul who has experience of teaching the Cambridge International A Level syllabus. I'm a little concerned the IB is on a downward spiral, and I wonder if it would not be wise to investigate alternative options for post-16 students at international schools.

#10 Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

• Admin
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I share your concerns about the IB but the problem is how do you 'opt out' as an individual department when the school itself is committed to the IB programme? If I had a free choice I would have jumped ship ages ago following a series of quite astounding blunders in terms of question setting / marking which play havoc with students' nerves. However I think part of the problem is that the IBO know that once a school commits itself to the programme then it's very difficult to get out of it, more's the pity.

"There's an old saying about those who forget history. I don't remember it, but it's good" - Stephen Colbert

#11 Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

• Admin
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:06 PM

...regarding your other point, I currently do the coursework option but structure my course as follows:

Yr10:

Origins of WW1

International Relations in the 1920s

Weimar Germany (followed by coursework essay on Rise of Hitler)

Yr11:

International Relations in the 1930s

Nazi Germany (followed by coursework sourcework on Women and Children in Nazi Germany).

When Paper 2 requires me to do so, I squeeze in an extra topic (e.g. Origins of Cold War).

#12 Russell Courts

Russell Courts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

We have always done the Germany depth study last so it acts as a sort of revision unit as well.

#13 Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

Russel Tarr

• Admin
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

I used to do that too, but found that doing Weimar then Nazi Germany back to back was a bit overkill. I prefer to do Weimar, then move on to look at the Wall St. Crash and Hitler's foreign policy, then return to the Nazi domestic policies afterwards.

#14 Laurence Hicks

Laurence Hicks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

One little change to the syllabus, which I didn't spot until just now, concerns the Korean War. It was formerly part of the UN topic, but from 2015 it will feature in Containment. On the whole, I'm pleased CIE has kept the Korean War - unlike the IBO which ditched it in 2010!

#15 casey rich

casey rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:21 AM

My students (ESL/EAP Chinese) will find the new Paper 4 very difficult, but I see its value as a bridge to AS/A Level.  That said, we will now probably cut out WW1 (just do a two week introduction) and try to get through Collapse of the Soviet Union, which we've never made it through.  I know, we miss two entire syllabus topics, but it had to be done because the students need so much time spent on writing skills and critical thinking.

I will miss having the Paper 4 style source questions to continue working students through on.  We alway covered the entire Depth Study at the end and it was a good chance to drill them on these 3 basic ways of analyizing sources.  The new sytle of Paper 4 will require more project based writing and planning to prepare them for a much more difficult style of essay.

"Men love war because it allows them to look serious. Because it is the
one thing that stops women laughing at them."

~John Fowles "The Magus"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users