* * * * * 1 votes

Bicentenary of the Abolition of the Transatlantic Slave Trade

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:47 AM

I've been thinking about this since the SHP conference after Dan Lyndon's excellent seminar. I'm not sure what I want to do yet but I have talked to of the other departments in school about doing something special. My LEA has put some resources up already. Thomas Clarkson had his 'road to Damascus' moment near my school. I think we may do something around him.

Any other great ideas?

Edited by Nick Dennis, 21 January 2007 - 08:54 PM.

#2 Dan Moorhouse

Dan Moorhouse

Six Star General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:44 PM

We've got involved in a project involving York University and the centre for Global Education (York). They've bought in an exhibition - they said from here (but it's not one of the ones listed on the page) and we're creating a second exhibition and a series of lesson / assembly packs to run alongside it that uses local sources to illustrate the impact of Slavery. There's a big LEA push in the month leading upto the anniversary, showing the exhibits in the Minster, for example. In school we're using the exhibition(s) along with our own bank of resources / sources to (hopefully) turn the school hall into a resource centre for the topic for a few weeks. In history and Citizenship lessons we'd then be able to use the exhibitions and resource packs etc to povide a really good overview of the historical issues, along with developing the citizenship themes through lesson packs that look at Slavery in a more modern context.

The planning for the education side of things is at a fairly early stage but much of the research has been done to gather the local information - some great sources that really do bring home just how 'close to home' slavery was. Should have some interesting lessons and presenations as a result - assuming that everyone involved in the project sticks to deadlines etc.

#3 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

Sounds great Dan. I'll have a word with our citizenship coordinator too. I'm waiting to hear from the person in charge of the project in Hertfordshire so I'll post more details when I get them.

#4 Lesley Ann

Lesley Ann

Six Star General

• Admin
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

www.understandingslavery.com

An online teaching resource
Produced by the Understanding Slavery project this website is a free resource for teachers and educators planning lessons on the transatlantic slave trade for young people at key stage 3 and 4 in their education.

What you will find on this website
Selected artefacts from museum collections, historical information organised into eight chronological themes, lesson plans and activities for use in school or community contexts.

Teaching the slave trade - information on how to use the teaching tools

Themes - historical information

Learning resources - a collection of visual materials and activities
Carpe Diem - Seize the Day

#5 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

For those of you in the Herts area:

2007 Bicentenary of the Act to Abolish the Slave Trade: Hertfordshire's Hidden Histories 5th March 2007 10.00am - 12.00pm.

"Much of Hertfordshire's wealth came from the slave trade, and their archives at County Hall contain lists of slaves, their names and the work they did. Hertfordshire people were also involved in the abolition movement. This was the first popular human rights campaign in which towns like Hitchin and Baldock organised petetions and Quakers and Methodists in the county organised a sugar boycott."

The contact is Dr. Jill Barber, Heritage Services Manager, Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies.

The deadline is 26th Feb 2007.

#6 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 03:10 PM

This is a big one to celebrate - all this celebrity big brother nastiness shows how important it is to incorporate multicultural history into our teaching (and as an integral part of our nation's past, not as an add on of 'other' history we only do for half a term).

Does anyone know of anything happening in West Yorkshire - I've not been able to find anything...

donald

#7 Andy Rutherford

Andy Rutherford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

There will be some TV programmes on the bicentary, which look promising. An Open University-produced series for the BBC will be on soon. For details, see the OU's site at http://www.open2.net...programmes.html

I can't find out any details of the series' times; they probably aren't finalised yet.

Other useful links on slavery can be found at:

http://www.open2.net...rspectives.html

http://www.open2.net...s_weblinks.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk...lavery_01.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._section9.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk...e_william.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk...abbott_02.shtml

http://news.bbc.co.u...ica/1523100.stm

http://www.channel4....owse/black.html

#8 Guest_Nick Dennis_*

Guest_Nick Dennis_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

Hi Andy,

Link to a previous thread on the OU/BBC docudrama: http://www.schoolhis...;hl=slave trade

#9 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for bringing up this topic again. As Donald wisely points out the situation on CBB has highlighted how important it is to overcome ignorance and prejudice (the CBB affair is the first part of my HMD assembly). Can I also make a plea that every History teacher reading this focuses on the contribution that Africans in Britain, the Caribbean and Africa made to the campaign against the Slave Trade:

Olaudah Equiano
Ottabah Cugoano
Sam Sharpe
Toussaint L'Ouverture

As well as the role played by Wilberforce. There is some brilliant work on Thomas Clarkson by Dale Banham which you can use as well. I shall be revisiting the work that I did last year on creating a memorial to commemorate the bicentenary and you can download that material from comptonhistory here.

There are a lot of events planned across the country for the bicentenary - keep your eye on the Black History Blog for details over the next few weeks
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#10 Danno44

Danno44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:40 PM

Parliament is running a competition, we got a flyer through the post - students have to write a letter blah blah. Prize is 75 quid vouchers and a tour of the Palace of Westminster
Dan Browning
www.mrbrowning.com

#11 Tony Fox

Tony Fox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Thanks to dan for reminding me of Dale's work. I have something similar planned on Granville Sharp, I will pass on the resources once they have been finalised. But it seems that everyone other than Wilberforce has been forgotten, or is it just me responding to Sean lang's 12 important people, Wilberforce was not one that list?
"A parent can bring a child into this world, but a child can bring a parent into the world to come." - from the Talmud

"Had Churchill been a stable and equable man, he could never have inspired the nation. In 1940, when all the odds were against Britain, a leader of sober judgement might well have concluded we were finished. - Anthony Storr

#12 Dan Lyndon

Dan Lyndon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:42 PM

Tony, I would love to have your materials for blackhistory4schools.com and that goes for everyone else who is preparing stuff for the bicentenary. If you don't have my email address, then it is on the front page of the website.
Until the lion has a historian of his own, the tale of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
comptonhistory.com
blackhistory4schools.com

#13 Tom Morton

Tom Morton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:44 AM

Attached is a lesson I wrote on Harriet Tubman, part of a longer unit on the Underground Railroad that I like to teach during Black History month that starts on Thursday. Do they have that month in the U.K.?

In any case, it overlaps with the historical significance thread and looks at how Tubman's position in history has changed over time. I had never heard of her or the Underground Railroad until one day I heard Leon Bibb sing "Follow the Drinking Gourd" and explain the meaning of the lyrics and the role Tubman played.

Attached Files

#14 sarahn

sarahn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

yes, we have black history month in October.
sarah

#15 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:26 PM

Nothing new just bumping up the heads up for this fine website:slavery artefacts

Lots of great artefacts and ideas - plenty to add flourishes to our lessons!

I believe we are also being instructed to teach the topic, as this missive from the Dfes suggests:

"A new learning resource and national project for Key Stage 3 pupils is to be launched by the DfES and the Understanding Slavery Initiative (USI), to support the study of the legacies of the transatlantic slave trade.

The National Schools Project for Summer Term 2007 will be an inspiring and engaging opportunity for young people, aged 11 14 (KS3), to explore many of the complex issues surrounding the legacies of the transatlantic slave trade, as the bicentenary of the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act is commemorated in Britain during 2007.

The DfES and USI are working in collaboration to produce a new digital learning resource and corresponding printed pack[Understanding Slavery website]. The resources will offer schools the opportunity to embed this major element of British history into programmes of study across the curriculum and enter the resulting research for national award. "

Jings, crivvens, just as well they thought of the idea!

Don
;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users