• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TommyP

TommyP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:17 AM

I'm a PGCE student taking over a Yr 7 class on Friday. I planned the lesson Medieval Medicine according to the workscheme but the teacher of the class says it is too flat and I need something more dynamic for my first lesson with them. It was involving a poster so I can see her point! Ideas for dynamic, teacher led activities would be gratefully received as I am mentally exhausted and really struggling!

#2 Ed Waller

Ed Waller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:29 AM

Probably a most obvious choice but...

Urine chart... explanation of four humours... examination of a 'sample' - get flask from science, nice and clear glass (best to give a good wash before use), add lucozade sport (lemon)... get students to discuss which part of the chart it looks most like... To confirm taste a little on the end of your finger.

Guaranteed to get an "eeeeuuughhhhh".

Leads into discussion of knowledge of the time and role of church, quacks and wise women.

That would make a quick plenary poster (as advert for an apothecary) less than flat: services offered, who are the competition. You could even tick a work-related learning box if you needed to.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

#3 Sally Thorne

Sally Thorne

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

I'm a PGCE student taking over a Yr 7 class on Friday. I planned the lesson Medieval Medicine according to the workscheme but the teacher of the class says it is too flat and I need something more dynamic for my first lesson with them. It was involving a poster so I can see her point! Ideas for dynamic, teacher led activities would be gratefully received as I am mentally exhausted and really struggling!

There are some great pictures of Medieval operations - I am thinking specifically of the piles operation - which you could use. I've done an activity in the past where I keep the picture on my desk, and the students get into groups and have to send one person up at a time, who gets to look at the picture for 10 seconds and then has to come back and describe what's going on to the rest of the group, who draw it as described.

This moves into looking at surgery and also blood-letting - the 4 humours and so on.

The picture I mean is in the SHP Medicine textbook...I can't find it on the web right now :(

Good luck!

#4 Chris Hammond

Chris Hammond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

I can't remember the specifics but there was a famous case of an operation where the surgeon slipped and cut himself. The patient died from his wound (leg?), the docor died as a result of infection and the nurse died of shock. An operation with a 300% death rate is a good story!!

In the past, I have re-inacted this by lying a studnt down as a patient, with other students as the doctor, nurse and crowd (in the theatre, a good way to introduce why things in medicine have odd names). The students really like it as a role play.

You could set this up as a murder mystery... "One wounded man went into an operation thatre, when he came out, 3 people were dead. What happened?"

Good luck.

#5 donald cumming

donald cumming

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:51 AM

Try the Oswald of Ormskirk activity at Ian's Thinking History website - lots of fun!

Oswald of Ormskirk

Don
:gentleman:

#6 Chris Wilde

Chris Wilde

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

3 videos at the bottom of THIS PAGE for various medieval medical treatments!

Edited by Chris Wilde, 18 April 2007 - 04:13 PM.

IPB Image

#7 louisecp

louisecp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hiya,

I had the exact same problem with my y7's last week... so, I promised them gore and horror...

I did this sheet in which we ran through together and stoped to chat about each method and how effective we thought it was...

we then talked about possible cures...

after we played diagnosis with the following paitients

it was great as the kids really got into cures... my boys like gore and poo... there is plenty of this to include using diagnosis!

Have fun its a great lesson to talk about gore

find attached my work sheets, there info based and wont be good for lower abilities but it is easliy adapted

let me know if you need any advice or info on medicine

lou x x

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users