- All students will establish the key events of the Highland Clearances.
- Most students will be able to explain in detail different points backed up by evidence.
- Some students will be able to determine why the Duke of Sutherland is still viewed with hostility in Scotland today.
One of the main reasons why the English population grew was because people emigrated from Scotland after the Highland Clearances. After the English defeated the Scottish at the Battle of Culloden in 1746 the English wanted to control the Highland Chieftains and Scottish clans. The English offered the Chieftains money and power for their land but the Chieftains did not give this money to their clans but took the land by force. The clans felt betrayed by their Chieftains as they were cleared off their highlands – homes and land they owned and farmed for hundreds of years.
Powerpoint Lesson Plan:
- Aimed at Students studying across UK Year 7,8 & 9 or equivalent
- Premium resource
- Use as you wish in the classroom or home environment
- Structured powerpoint presentation and challenging tasks.
- Complete lesson plan on the Highland clearance.