Download What happened during the reign of terror
Click the button below to download this worksheet for use in the classroom or at home.Download →
• To determine whether the Committee of Public Safety made France better.
• To understand the guillotine as an execution device.
Anyone suspected of plotting against the Revolution was quickly dealt with by Robespierre’s Committee of Public Safety (‘Heinemann’ page 26 source A). Justice was not to be found as we can see in this painting. Everyone lived in fear.
It is impossible to estimate how many people were killed during the Terror. More than 12,000 were officially guillotined, but many others were shot, drowned or put to death in another way. From some of the sources you will study in the questions below, we can see that some were put to death unnecessarily.
- Aimed at Students studying across KS3 or equivalent
- Premium resource
- Use as you wish in the classroom or home environment
- Lesson fact file on what happened during the ‘Reign of Terror’
- Use with other French Revolution worksheets & resources.
- Includes challenging questions.