What you will do in this lesson
- Investigate the story of Henry II and Thomas Becket.
- Attempt to understand the difficulties Henry II faced.
- Look into why Henry’s best friend became his worst enemy.
- Explore decisions that Henry II took.
Prior knowledge required
- You don’t need to know anything about the story!
- Knowledge about the church in Medieval times may come in helpful.
What you will learn
- The background and events leading to the murder of Becket.
- The problems Henry faced because of Becket.
At the end of this lesson you should
- Understand Henry’s struggle with the church.
- Know why Henry ‘ordered’ the murder of his ex-best friend.
- Realise the outcome of different decisions.
Teacher Lesson Plan
Click the button below to view the lesson plan: