Download United Nations and the Congo
Click the button below to download this worksheet for use in the classroom or at home.Download →
Lesson Plan Snapshot:
- Congo is called Zaire today.
- Before 1960 it was run as a Belgian colony.
- It became independent on 30th June 1960.
- The Belgian Govt had not prepared the Congo for independence and soon there was chaos in the country.
- All significant jobs, i.e. doctors, government positions, army officers were given to white Belgians.
- There was not a single black doctor in the country.
- The new Prime Minister, Patrice Lumumba, faced problems immediately.
- White officers in the army refused to promote blacks and the soldiers mutinied and attacked their white officers and civilians.
Powerpoint Lesson Plan:
- Aimed at Students studying across UK Year 7,8 & 9 or equivalent
- Premium resource
- Use as you wish in the classroom or home environment
- Structured powerpoint presentation and challenging tasks.
- Complete lesson plan on the United Nations & their involvement in Congo.