Download US Constitutional Amendments
Click the button below to download this worksheet for use in the classroom or at home.Download →
- Passed by Congress in 1913, the 16th Amendment established Congress’s right to impose a Federal income tax.
- The financial requirements of the Civil War prompted the first American income tax in 1861. At first, Congress placed a 3% tax on all incomes over $800 and later modified this to include a graduated tax.
- Congress repealed the income tax in 1872, but the concept did not disappear.
- After the Civil War, growing industrial and financial markets of the Eastern USA generally prospered. But the farmers of the South and West suffered from low prices for their farm products, while they were forced to pay high prices for manufactured goods.
- Throughout the 1860s, 1870s, and 1880s, farmers formed such political organizations as the Populist Party which wanted a graduated income tax.
Powerpoint Lesson Plan:
- Aimed at Students studying across UK Year 7,8 & 9 or equivalent
- Premium resource
- Use as you wish in the classroom or home environment
- Structured powerpoint presentation and challenging tasks.
- Complete lesson plan on the US Constitutional Amendments.