- In December 1865 the US Constitution was amended for the 13th time.
- It changed the federal position on slavery.
- It stated that slavery or forced servitude was illegal unless as a punishment for a crime.
- It was universal across the country.
- In January 1865 the US Congress approved the 13th Amendment.
- In March 1865 the US Congress approved the creation of the Freedman’s Bureau to help former slaves and poor white Southern men who had suffered from the US Civil War.
- April 1865 saw Lincoln’s assassination and Andrew Johnson struggled after this to get Congress to pass legislation to reunite the country.
Powerpoint Lesson Plan:
- Aimed at Students studying across UK Year 7,8 & 9 or equivalent
- Premium resource
- Use as you wish in the classroom or home environment
- Structured powerpoint presentation and challenging tasks.
- Complete lesson plan on the end of slavery in the US.