2 replies to this topic

#1 P. Tismer

P. Tismer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

Dear Colleagues,

Two years ago, my school only introduced parents' evenings in the format of parents-meet-subject-teachers. Before this we had "academic interview days" where parents met with their child's form tutor and discussed the written reports of the subject teachers in some depth. These meetings took 20 minutes each and the form tutor was off timetable for the whole day. I liked this system...

Anyway, now that we have the same format that, I assume, most other schools have as well, I would like to ask colleagues for their experience on one specific issue: Does your school factor in some break times during the parents' evening? And if yes, how often and how long?

I am asking this because our headmaster announced today that he no longer wants us to "book" breaks during parents' evenings. Our appointments are organised via SIMS, which means that we have no power to negotiate the timings - parents simply book a slot and that is it. Last year we were able to blank out a few time slots to allow us a break, but the headmaster has now disabled this function. Since I teach several Y7 and Y8 classes, my evenings for these cohorts will therefore be fully booked. This means three hours of non-stop meetings. I have asked my union rep for clarification on this matter and he will look into it, but there is apparently no clear guideline about this. It would help me to know whether other schools also expect teachers to conduct appointments non-stop, or whether your timetables have break times factored into them.

#2 David Bryant

David Bryant

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

No formal breaks at my school. This can mean a very long evening if you have two (or more) classes from one year group.

#3 Giles Falconer

Giles Falconer

Long-term Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

If you can't manage 3 hours non-stop, then you may simply have to get up, leaving the next pair of parents, waiting for a 'toilet break' (which might well include, unless you are given refreshments at your table, going to make a coffee as well). The downside of this is that your appointments may well overrun, keeping you t school later, but the upside is that if a number of colleagues do it the school will find factoring in breaks less disruptive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users