Download Liverpool to Manchester Railway
Click the button below to download this worksheet for use in the classroom or at home.Download →
1. All students will evaluate why the LMR was built.
2. Most students will identify the arguments for and against development of the Liverpool to Manchester Railway.
3. Some students will establish the most effective connectives to use in their writing to produce an outstanding speech.
In the 1820s Liverpool and Manchester were two of the most important cities in England. Liverpool was a busy port. Manchester was the main centre of the expanding cotton industry. But travel between these two important cities was expensive and slow. Raw materials piled up at Liverpool docks and could be there for as long as 3 weeks. Factories in Manchester were kept waiting for raw materials – costing them money.
In 1822 the merchants and businessmen of Liverpool and Manchester agreed upon a solution: to build a railway. But not everybody was happy!
Worksheet Lesson Plan:
- Aimed at Students studying across UK Year 7,8 & 9 or equivalent
- Premium resource
- Use as you wish in the classroom or home environment
- Structured information sheet.